Egypt prosecution: Mubarak, aides ordered killing

Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak is wheeled into a van after attending a trial in Cairo, Egypt, Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012. The chief prosecutor in Hosni Mubarak's trial accused the ousted Egyptian leader of imposing "tyrannical rule" and devoting the last 10 years of his three decades in power to ensure his son would succeed him. (AP Photo/Mohammed al-Law)

Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak is wheeled into a van after attending a trial in Cairo, Egypt, Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012. The chief prosecutor in Hosni Mubarak's trial accused the ousted Egyptian leader of imposing "tyrannical rule" and devoting the last 10 years of his three decades in power to ensure his son would succeed him. (AP Photo/Mohammed al-Law)

(AP) ? The prosecution in the Hosni Mubarak trial said on Wednesday it has concluded that Egypt's ousted president, his security chief and six top police officers were the "actual instigators" of the killing of more than 800 protesters during last year's popular uprising that brought down his regime.

Mubarak and his seven co-defendants are facing charges of complicity in the killings and could face the death penalty if convicted.

Wednesday's hearing coincided with the second day of voting in the third and final round of parliamentary elections that began on Nov. 28. Even before the final round, Islamists led by the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt's largest political group, were assured of a majority in the new legislature. They are likely to bolster their gains in the final round, since many of the nine provinces voting have been traditional Islamist strongholds.

The elections, the fairest and freest in decades, have attracted a heavy turnout. Final results were due to be announced Jan. 13.

The military officers who have taken over from Mubarak when he stepped down on Feb. 11 say presidential elections will be held before the end of June, but they are yet to announce an exact date for the vote and for formally handing over power to a civilian administration.

Activists have been pointing to what they see as mounting signs of a confluence of interests between the Brotherhood and the ruling generals. They fear their understanding could lead to shelving reforms for greater democracy they hoped for after Mubarak's fall.

Activists accuse the Brotherhood of opportunism and a determination to seize power. The group initially stayed out of the anti-Mubarak uprising, though its disciplined followers later lent considerable street muscle to protesters' street battles against security forces and Mubarak loyalists. It has since largely stayed out of antimilitary demonstrations, arguing that it was relying on the democratic process, rather than protests.

The Mubarak trial brings out conflicting visions. Reformers and the victims' families clamor for a full measure of justice, while many others want the turbulence to end so that Egypt's battered economy can move toward stability.

On Wednesday, chief prosecutor Mustafa Suleiman said the defendants clearly authorized the use of live ammunition and a shoot-to-kill policy against peaceful protesters. He also complained that the prosecution had to launch its own probe after security authorities ignored the prosecution's requests for help in the inquiry. Prosecutors interviewed hundreds of witnesses, physicians and police officers to build its case.

Suleiman said the decision to use live ammunition was taken on Jan. 27 last year, just before the most violent day of the 18-day uprising that forced Mubarak to step down on Feb. 11.

Dubbed the "Friday of Rage," Jan. 28 also saw the deployment of army troops in Cairo and across much of the nation, as well as the yet to be explained disappearance of security forces. The objective, he said, was to kill enough protesters to force the rest to disperse.

Another prosecutor, Mustafa Khater, told the court that special police forces armed with automatic rifles targeted the heads, chests and eyes of protesters.

The prosecution also showed video of the violence taken by TV stations. They showed police officers loading up their weapons with live ammunition and police and fire engine trucks chasing protesters and running them over. One video showed a police officer perched on top of a police car and killing a protester with a gunshot to the head.

"The defendants before you in the cage are the actual instigators and are the ones who gave police officers the order to shoot," said Suleiman. He also said that the prosecution has evidence that the regime used "thugs" against the protesters.

"The protesters were peaceful, and it was the police that started firing on them," he said. Suleiman said the Interior Minister and the country's intelligence agency ignored or provided little data in response to the prosecution's requests for information on the circumstances surrounding the killings. He said widespread disarray in the state at the time of the probe ? around mid-February ? or the wish to protect their own may have been behind the lack of cooperation.

Khater told the court that Interior Ministry officials used thugs and hardened criminals to provoke the protesters into violence. The thugs, he said, pelted protesters with rocks, prompting them to act in self defense and appear not to be peaceful.

The hearings will resume on Thursday for the third and final day of the prosecution's opening statement.

Associated Press

Source: http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d281c11a96b4ad082fe88aa0db04305/Article_2012-01-04-ML-Egypt-Mubarak-Trial/id-67a9bc90668d4956a70eca1ca851ca8c

grimm tashard choice tashard choice puss in boots the rum diary trailer the rum diary trailer nor easter

KOB4: Governor promotes winter sports in New Mexico: Gov. Susana Martinez says she may venture out to one of New Mexico... http://t.co/yEbk7c0n

Loader Governor promotes winter sports in New Mexico: Gov. Susana Martinez says she may venture out to one of New Mexico...

Source:

after christmas sales macys stratfor bears vs packers after christmas sales 2011 tyson chandler tyson chandler

ExaminerOnline: RT @FairDawg: Any pics on your iPhone from Falls at Marion Bay? Send them to The Examiner using our App to see them in print online! @ ...

Loader Any pics on your iPhone from Falls at Marion Bay? Send them to The Examiner using our App to see them in print + online! @

Source:

north korea news north korea news patrick willis team america snow day snow day neti pot

2012 NFL Draft order: Top 20 set while playoffs will determine the rest

Photo

The top 20 picks in the 2012 NFL Draft are set ? with the exception four picks that have to be decided by a coin flip at the NFL Scouting Combine. Picks 21-32 will be decided by playoff outcomes. Strength of schedule played a big role in this year's draft order. Each team between picks 13 and 19 had an 8-8 record.

Here is the top 20. Playoff teams are after the jump but not in order.

1. Indianapolis Colts - 2-14 (.539)
2. St. Louis Rams - 2-14 (.590)
3. Minnesota Vikings - 3-13 (.559)
4. Cleveland Browns - 4-12 (.531)
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 4-12 (.551)
6. Washington Redskins - 5-11 (.477)
7. Jacksonville Jaguars - 5-11 (.500)
* 8/9. Carolina Panthers - 6-10 (.504)
* 8/9. Miami Dolphins - 6-10 (.504)
10. Buffalo Bills - 6-10 (.520)
* 11/12. Kansas City Chiefs - 7-9 (.512)
* 11/12. Seattle Seahawks - 7-9 (.512)
13. Arizona Cardinals - 8-8 (.469)
14. Dallas Cowboys - 8-8 (.473)
15. Philadelphia Eagles - 8-8 (.488)
16. New York Jets - 8-8 (.500)
17. Cincinnati Bengals (via Oakland Raiders) - 8-8 (.504)
18. San Diego Chargers - 8-8 (.516)
19. Chicago Bears - 8-8 (.527)
20. Tennessee Titans - 9-7 (.461)

Star-divide


PLAYOFF TEAMS:

Denver Broncos - 8-8
New York Giants - 9-7
Cincinnati Bengals - 9-7
Houston Texans - 10-6
Atlanta Falcons - 10-6 (pick goes to Cleveland)
Detroit Lions - 10-6
Pittsburgh Steelers - 12-4
Baltimore Ravens - 12-4
New Orleans Saints - 13--3 (pick goes to New England)
San Francisco 49ers - 13-3
New England Patriots - 13-3
Green Bay Packers - 15-1

* Coin flip at NFL Scouting Combine

Do you like this story?

Source: http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/1/1/2675748/2012-nfl-draft-order-colts-rams-vikings

falcons dan marino passing record ipad 2 cases movie times serene branson matthew mcconaughey to catch a predator

China to curb online phishing

China to curb online phishing

Beijing, December 30, 2011?: China?s ten major search engines have agreed to put banks? official homepages at the top of search results in a bid to curb cyber scams, authorities said.

The move was jointly pushed by Ministry of Public Security, banking industry organizations and several commercial banks in response to growing public concerns over the safety of online accounts and transactions since 2010, a statement said.

Phishing attacks, or financial fraud schemes, are generally done through fraudulent websites that appear legitimate by using web addresses or log-in webpage designs similar to banks? officialInternet?banking service portals.Phishing victims are often fooled by fraudulent links turned out by search engines, reported Xinhua. Upon entering such sites, customers are asked to verify their account information by entering usernames and passwords.

The first batch of financial institutions covered by this new precaution scheme includes five major state-owned banks and two financial organizations, the statement said.?Moreover, some search portals have added an official logo to each bank?s legitimate link to make it ?remarkably different? from unauthorized results.

A series of hacking cases this week stirred strong public concern.

Millions of personal details of subscribers to several websites, including CSDN, thecountry?s largest programmers? website, and popular online gaming and social networking sites, were leaked.

A police report on Thursday said that applicants? information leaked from a government database in the southern province of Guangdong due to technical loopholes.


Tags: China to curb online, China`s ten major search engines, Cyber scams


0 views

Source: http://www.news.chauthiduniya.com/china-to-curb-online-phishing

protect ip act spear of destiny rock hill sc kate middleton pregnant national book awards jessica sutta houston astros

uzbekistan_news: New satellites to extend China's military reach http://t.co/D95t9oO7

  • Passer la navigation
  • Twitter sur votre mobile ? Cliquez ici m.twitter.com!
  • Passer cette ?tape
  • Connexion
Loader Twitter.com
  • Connexion
New satellites to extend China's military reach tf.to/VxuP uzbekistan_news

Uzbekistan News

Pied de page

Source:

2012 holidays phish rose bowl yellow cab japan earthquake bosom buddies andrew bynum

New Year's Resolution: Get fit, make electricity

SportsArt Fitness

A new system of fitness machines turns the watts you generate while working out into electrticity to power the gym.

By John Roach

A new generation of workout machines that generate electricity as you work up a sweat are poised to invade fitness centers and help you keep your New Year's resolution to trim down your waistline.

The electricity generated by the machines is fed back into the grid, helping the gym save on its utility bills.


The so-called Green System from Woodinville, Wash.,-based SportsArt Fitness, represents a novel way to harness "human power," Ken Carpenter, director of sales for the company, told me.

It joins a growing list of similar concepts, including PaveGen's pavers that generate electricity as people walk (and boogie) on them and devices such as shoes and a backpack that charge batteries as you go for a jog or hike in the woods.

Sweaty watts
The Green System consists of recumbent and upright bikes as well as elliptical trainers, each with a box that captures 75 percent of the watts you generate during a workout.?

Boxes in several machines are hooked together and routed through an inverter that can handle up to 2,000 watts. Assuming an average of 133 watts per person, a pod might have 15 machines on it, Carpenter said.

"Most facilities are going to be drawing so many watts and amperage, you'd have to have a lot of inverters to really reverse that meter, because of light bulbs, air conditioning, and all the other things being powered," he said.

Nevertheless, 2,000 watt hours are enough to power a clothes washer for 6 hours, a microwave oven for 2.5 hours, or a 27-inch flat screen TV for 17 hours, according to SportsArt Fitness.

This is enough electricity that the system will pay for itself in about three years, according to Carpenter. The company has an?online calculator where you can figure out your potential savings.

The system includes an inverter and the exercise machines. The inverter runs about $3,000, while the the machines could cost about $3,500 to $7,000.

Generating award points
The system is also hooked up with Victoria, Canada,-based EcoFit, which produces digital technology to calculate the number of watts an individual generates during a workout, put it on a graphical display and keep track of watts over time on a card.

In the future, the companies hope to turn these "eco-points" generated at the gym into currency accepted at coffee shops and other retail outlets.?

Back at the gym, the display technology also allows individuals to compete. For example, if you?see your buddy is generating 115 watts, you might ramp it up so you can generate 130 watts.

Right now, most people measure their performance at the gym in terms of workout time, or distance biked, or calories burned, but Carpenter said he thinks this paradigm will shift to watts "the more eco-conscious people get."

So, eat, drink, and be merry this weekend. But come the New Year, hit the gym and generate some watts.

More on harnessing human power:

?


John Roach is a contributing writer for msnbc.com. To learn more about him, check out his website. For more of our Future of Technology series, watch the featured video below.

?

Next-gen nuclear plants could provide carbon-free energy, but the painfully slow process of approving better, safer reactors ? not to mention real anxiety over meltdowns and waste ? threaten to derail projects before they can be built.

Source: http://futureoftech.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/30/9832247-new-years-resolution-get-fit-make-electricity

grand theft auto 5 grand theft auto 5 kris jenner kris jenner livestand power ball kelly slater

Spain gears up for austerity under new government (AP)

MADRID ? Spain's new conservative government is set to unveil its first austerity measures later Friday as it tries to reassure markets that it has a plan to get a grip on its public finances at the same time as kickstarting an economy saddled with sky-high unemployment.

With much of the country on holiday, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy of the Popular Party was presiding over a Cabinet meeting that will approve the first in what is expected to be a painful series of spending freezes or cuts and other reforms over the next few months.

Rajoy's Popular Party won a sweeping victory in Nov. 20 elections over the Socialists and his government took power only last week. All the ministers have been named but many other senior positions have not even been filled yet.

Like other troubled governments in Europe, Rajoy faces the delicate task of a deficit reduction measures in a country whose economy is expected to sink back into recession. The jobless rate is a staggering 21.5 percent, the highest rate of all 17 countries that use the euro.

Rajoy has said time and time again he is determined to meet Spain's commitment to cut its budget deficit to 4.4 percent of GDP in 2012.

Last week, he said that if the outgoing government's deficit forecast of 6 percent for 2011 was correct ? and he stressed it might be off ? the new government would have to achieve euro16.5 billion ($22 billion) in deficit reduction in 2012.

Fears over Spain's public finances and a banking sector heavily exposed to a real estate bubble that burst in 2008 have caused Spain's borrowing costs to soar amid fears it could end up suffering the same fate as bailed out Greece, Ireland and Portugal.

Spanish media say that just about the only good news expected to come out of Friday's Cabinet meeting is a small cost of living increase for pensioners. In May 2010, then Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero slapped the freeze on under growing international pressure, just as the Greek debt crisis was heating up. The pressure on Spain included a call from President Barack Obama.

The rest of the measures expected Friday will apparently be an early taste of the bitter medicine to come ? a freeze on civil servant wages hiring in most areas, except security forces.

And ministries will be told to tighten their belts, again.

As no budget for 2012 has yet been passed, Rajoy's Cabinet is expected to extend the 2011 spending blueprint into the first quarter of next year as it waits to get final figures on the economy. A full-blown 2012 budget is expected in late March.

On Friday, ministries will reportedly be told how much of the money they originally had earmarked for 2011 they must now refrain from spending.

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/business/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20111230/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_spain_financial_crisis

jay leno machine gun kelly lindsey lohan reed hastings cujo hpv vaccine hurricane tracking

India?s Most Valuable Firm? Hello TCS, Move Over RIL

The last stock market session of the year delivered an unexpected headline: Mukesh Ambani no longer runs India?s most valuable company.

Reliance Industries Ltd., his oil to retail conglomerate, was stripped of that title by Tata Consultancy Services, the outsourcing behemoth that is part of the Tata Group, according to data released by SMC Global Securities Ltd. Reliance?s market value reached 2.269 trillion rupees (about $42.8 billion) while TCS?s market value touched 2.272 trillion rupees in Friday trading.

Of course, come Monday, Reliance could regain the crown. But the news nonetheless may make for a slightly anticlimactic end of year for Mr. Ambani after glowing news reports this week about the possibility that he and his brother, Anil, have settled their famous differences. The two men, and their mother Kokilaben, attended a celebration in Gujarat for the 80th anniversary of the birth of their late father ? a rare show of family unity. Talk of an Ambani brothers reunion has been percolating for months and speculation has grown that they will once again team up in business. We?ll reserve judgment, for now, on the likelihood of that.

But the market?s numbers are clear. Ratan Tata, the head of India?s flagship conglomerate, is now the ultimate overseer of India?s most valuable firm. It?s perhaps ironic that Mr. Ambani hasn?t been knocked from his perch by a young upstart but by a man many years his senior. Indeed, it means that Mr. Tata will go into his final year at Tata?s helm with the imaginary trumpets blaring. And it?ll fall to TCS?s management and Mr. Tata?s chosen successor, Cyrus Mistry, to ensure that TCS stays where it is.

A TCS spokesman declined comment. An RIL spokesman couldn?t immediately be reached.

Paul Beckett is the WSJ?s bureau chief in New Delhi. Follow him on Twitter @paulwsj.

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2011/12/30/indias-most-valuable-firm-hello-tcs-move-over-ril/?mod=WSJBlog

port charlotte florida clippers kit homes boxing day radio shack bethany hamilton bethany hamilton